Monday, April 27, 2009

(Another) Encounter


I have a penchant for attracting weird/interesting people :S. Yesterday, I went to Lulu in Al Raha Mall for my weekly groceries wearing shalwar kameez (the traditional Pakistani dress). While I was withdrawing cash from the ATM, the security guard at the entrance came up to me and asked, "Aap Pakistan se hain?" (Are you from Pakistan?). I replied in the affirmative. He proceeded to strike up a conversation asking what I'm doing in Abu Dhabi, where I work, where I'm from in Pakistan, what I majored in in college, how long I've been here, where my parents live... He looked to be in his mid-twenties, decent and well-spoken. He told me he was from Lahore, qualified as a civil engineer but he'd been laid off from work and was therefore working as a security guard until he could find another job. He asked if I could circulate his resume among my employers. My sympathies were aroused, so I handed over my business card and told him to email me his CV.

After groceries were done, I sat down on one of the benches to wait for the driver and began reading my free copy of Abu Dhabi City Guide. Ten minutes later I looked up to find him standing nearby. He said, "Gaia-jee (my name's on the card :P), aap kuch lein gi, chai? coffee?" (Can I get you something? tea? coffee?). I responded with a blank stare, "Jee?". Then I came to my senses and said no thank you, the driver's on his way, I need to leave and started walking towards the exit. Luckily the car was waiting so I hopped in and sped away.

Today around lunch time, I get a call at work.
A:"Assalamalaikum Gaia-jee? This is Ali, we met at the mall"
G:"Walaikumasalam"
A:"Agar aap mind nah karein to main eik baat pooch sakta houn?" (If you don't mind, can I ask you something?)
G:"Sure" (wondering, what's coming next...)
A:"I have extra tickets for the Australia-Pakistan cricket match and I was wondering if you'd like to go..."
G:"Jee?" (My mind blanks out in these situations)
A: repeats what he said earlier
G:"SryThnx. Bye."

Awkward... I feel mean :S

5 comments:

  1. i never get offered free tickets :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's one reason i HATE wearing shalwar qamiz when im outdoors. ive had some seriously creepy experiences.
    the other day TFL forced me into going to the cinema in shalwar qameez - i got stared at so bad. and this is all up to date stuff from lahoristan... so i know i dont look wierd.
    argh.

    but gaia ji, you should go to the match. uska dil khush ho jaye ga ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahahaha

    I hate giving out my name to random people. It always ends in awkwardness. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. @AS I'd be happy to trade places with you... :P
    @Hemlock, there are lots and lots of desis in Dubai... why would you get stared at? And I thought he was looking for a job... but I do feel bad all the same. Don't you think it's too hot to be outside for a match?
    @Mishi... yes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Mishi "Jee" is a term of respect in Urdu/Punjabi- it's like saying, Ma'am in English

    ReplyDelete