Sunday, March 8, 2009

Cell Phone-less in Abu Dhabi

On my way back from Karachi, I forgot my cell phone at home. The bijli (electricity) had gone and in the dark, I omitted going over my mental checklist. My parents always make sure I have my passport, ticket and wallet... they forgot to mention cell phone :P

So I arrived at Abu Dhabi Airport without a cell phone and somehow managed to direct the taxi driver to the villas. Meanwhile, my mom was frantic with worry, not knowing if her daughter had arrived safely. So, she turns on my cell phone and calls the first number on the contact list, which happened to be our bus driver, Abdel Karim. It was his day off, so he calls M who comes over to make sure I'm alive and I called and spoke to my mom using her phone.

Courier doesn't allow cell phones to be mailed, so my mom gives my cell phone to her friend's nephew who happened to be traveling to Dubai on the next flight :P (Pakistan's six degrees of separation). Now, I need to call up this guy and get my cell phone from him. I've never met him and I have no idea what he looks like. I'll have to tell him I'm the girl holding a yellow flower or a sombrero so he can recognize me. Awkward...

Meanwhile, I am cellphone-less in Abu Dhabi and feeling very vulnerable.

4 comments:

  1. been there...

    its funny... somtimes one really enjoys these moments whereas on others u feel all 'empty' !!!

    i suggest u enjoy it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol @ I've never met him and I have no idea what he looks like. I'll have to tell him I'm the girl holding a yellow flower or a sombrero so he can recognize me...
    I was just thinking if it were 1990s, would you still be feeling vulnerable without your cell phone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it were the 1990s I'd probably still be living at home with my parents being driven around everywhere :P Alas, I am now living away from home responsible for my foibles... But you're right, we're too dependent on cell phones these days.

    ReplyDelete