Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Goodbye Karachi

After a much-needed two-year stretch in Karachi, our family will be relocating to Islamabad Inshalah. I have mixed feelings about the move... On the one hand, change is good, it allows one to grow and the kids will get a chance to explore the great outdoors (something you can't really do in Karachi). I may also have better job prospects in Isloo. BUT, I'm going to miss having my parents living 5 minutes away having my back all the time :-(

As a mom of an almost 5 year old and a 2 year old, I can attest to the fact that Grandmothers are indispensable for a mother's sanity. Whenever one of the kids or I fell sick, Ammi was there to sit with the boys, send home-made food and remind me to take time off for myself. Abbu and Ammi were always available to pick and drop the kids from school if I couldn't make it and the only time I managed to attend meetings was when the kids were at Nano's house... I'm getting teary-eyed as I type but it's true. My parents have been my biggest support to date and I can't thank them enough for all they've done for me...

On the marriage front, Mr. F and I have had some lows and highs but I'd like to think we've finally reached a point where we can talk to each other in a civilized manner about almost anything. I've tried really hard to be strong and create a warm and loving environment for the kids. I want to have a strong marriage so that the kids will have a secure childhood and with a lot of prayers and support, things seem to be much calmer on the home front. Alhamdulilah.

I was really lucky to have good domestic help: Sakina Aunty (a 60-year old Amma type nanny for E) and Driver M who has been very reliable over the past two years. I will miss them both dearly and I'm sure the kids will too.

I'll also miss living 2 minutes away from Khadda Market. The fruit and sabzi walla, chicken center, salon, drycleaners, French Bakery, Dossani's, Ami's, MEAT ONE, OPTP, Red Apple, Chatkharay and the TCS Center have all made my life so much easier in the last two years. I love my comfort zone... sigh.  

The prospect of packing up and moving yet again seems rather daunting but I guess I'm something of an expert now? This will be our 6th move in seven years and hopefully I'll be a lot more efficient at deciding what to keep, what to discard and what to buy... Hoping to get everything done in time for Ramadan!


No comments:

Post a Comment