Sunday, September 20, 2009

Eid Mubarak Y'all!

So, Munib-ur-Rahman has declared tomorrow to be in Eid in Pakistan. Of course, we have the usual confusion with some communities celebrating Eid a day early and suing the Ruet-i-Hilal committee :p. As an aside, I still don't get why a bunch of old men (with cataracts) and beards get to decide when we'll celebrate Eid...

The announcement on tv and radio was followed by firing... That is how we Pakistanis express our khushi (happiness). We fire kalashnikovs into the air and more often than not, some innocent person falls victim to a stray bullet and dies.

Later, my mom took me out for some last minute Eid shopping and the streets were packed! KFC had loudspeakers installed outside the restaurant blaring "Desi Girl" (from the bollywood film Dostana). At least we are a lively nation...

EID MUBARAK!

1 comment:

  1. I think the whole world had Eid today apart from pakistan (excluding NWFP), india and bangladesh...there is another problem those people face who live in non-nwfp but go to nwfp for eid (like my family)....apparently, everybody in my family will have 28 rozay....since it is a norm now, I don't like the thought of it...
    anyway, all aside, Eid Mubarik to you too....:)

    ReplyDelete