Friday, September 13, 2013

Long Overdue Update - Hello America!

So, a lot has happened between today and my last post. It's breezy outside and I'm munching on honeymaid graham crackers dipped in creamy peanut butter as I type this. Mr. F, Baby M and I moved to New Haven, Connecticut at the end of July. I started a Masters program, Mr. F became a stay at home dad and Baby M continues to be our source of entertainment and joy...

It wasn't easy wrapping up our house and leaving our relatively comfortable, settled life in Karachi but I guess iss mein Allah ki koi behtari thi (God had something better for us). We spent the last month getting settled into our new place. We're back to IKEA for our household furnishing needs (*sigh* I miss my lovely, beautifully carved sheeshan furniture) and I'm wearing my clothes from my undergrad days at Princeton (luckily I still fit into them!). Khaadi kurtas, chooridars and dainty sandals and chappals have been replaced with t-shirts, jeans and sneakers. It's also taken a while to get used to the idea of becoming a student again, with no source of income except for my savings :-S. Princeton, you spoiled me with your love and care and overdose of study breaks with samosas, ice cream, brownies and pizza... I'm cooking full-time now although Mr. F chips in quite a bit and he is usually the more creative cook.

Baby M has started day care 2 days a week when I'v scheduled most of my classes. It used to cost us Rs. 8,000 per month at my old office (full-time, 5 days a week). Here, it costs Rs. 80,000 per month for 2 days a week... so we're paying Rs. 10,000/day for child care... Shabana, I miss thee! And obviously no one can replace the genuine love and affection of the grandparents so Ammi dear, I miss you too!

The move has probably wrought the greatest change in Mr. F. From the snobby, corporate executive who sneered at the very thought of getting his own water, he's become a very hands-on daddy (yes to diaper-changing)/household help (honey, let me do the dishes).

:D

3 comments:

  1. @ Transition of Mr. F froma snobby corporate executive into a hands-on dadyy - Awwww, cute ;) and I can totally understand it ;)

    Best of luck with your studies and all this change :)

    Zee Zoo from Memoirs of an Amnemonic Mind

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG ! Its been a while since i last go through your posts here and mashallah look at the change of life. I am glad you are lucky to resume your studies and fulfill your dreams. lots of love and duas for Baby M and the family <3

    ReplyDelete